Tuesday, August 16, 2011

From The Desk of Orlando Hill.....


Green Lights - GO!!!


I was sitting at a red light the other day and my mind went running as it normally does on how often I sit at lights. It seems like the world is controlled by trying to get somewhere and once we get there, we are in a rush to leave to get to another place. The thought ran through my mind about how much power and authority those three lights have. For example, when the light turns yellow I give the vehicle as much gas as it can take to make it through before the light turns red. Don't let me be running behind schedule, I am praying to God for green lights to make up some time! I know I am not the only one! (Rabbit Trail: Why do people stop at "yield" signs and yield at "stop" signs?) In the meantime whild daydreaming, HONK! Apparently, the light turned green during my thought process and I disturbed the lady behind me who was obviously in a hurry. Excuse me for slowing you down, but I was thinking!!

Interesting enough, as the lady passed me with a mean glare, I wondered do I let peole do the same thing to me? Do I let the glares of others affect my journey? Just because a brother has decided to stop; does that mean I have to slam on brakes as well? Do friends, family , or day to day people dictate what I do in life? Are the plans for my life ordered by God like His word says or am I letting individuals change the colors of the light within my life at their delight? There are plenty of areas within my life that I actually judge based on how I think other people view me. I've learned that I sometimes utilize these views to measure what I and how I do some things . This is even true for many of my past choices and experiences whether these experiences are successes or failures. If I have been hurt in an area, I proceed very slowly and with caution because I don't want to risk another collision at that intersection. If the outcome has been positive, I'm more likely to visit this intersection again because how I was received or treated was a major determining factor in the success of that moment.

As I approach a parking space, I realized that we all have this same journey called life but go at different speeds and directions. I've made a vow to stay on course and obey the signs and lights that God has put before me within MY path and not allow it to be altered by the influences of others. I am not taking the detours instead I am enjoying the sights on this trip. I have green lights and I will proceed forward! I will not be poking along looking for the lights to change because I am looking and paying attention to God who is ordering my steps. I will not run over people who are traveling with me. I choose to trust God alone for the directions along this journey and even for the perfect timing as to when I have green lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment