Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What's To Come...

Some of you may know and others may not know that I have battled with obesity my entire life. My father's side of the family was obese. My mother's side wasn't necessarily obese but they did cook. Now, let me be completely transparent at this moment. My mama could throw down.. I know everyone says that about their mama, but my mama could cook her butt off!!! Food was interchangeable and could be used in any way she desired. Seriously!!! In most families, there are rules for breakfast foods, lunch foods, and dinner foods. All of those have their own season of time in our daily life. Nooooooo!!! Not in my family! I call my house the "old school" house for real!!! Mama would cook fried chicken, rice, and biscuits for breakfast with a side of blackburn syrup and an egg upon request! We had fried fish and biscuits, pork chops and gravy... you name it!! It was all fair game. Now don't let me fool you because the same chicken that was for breakfast could be used for dinner when she cooked the collard greens, candied yams (today these are sweet potatoes), cornbread, chocolate cake (any cake), and big ol' pitcher of sweet tea or your choice of kool-aid! This was just one day!! Let's not forget about the black-eye peas with the biscuit pudding, potato salad, and good lawd!!!! You get my picture....

Well, I've noticed over the years that this lifestyle has crippled me in so many ways! I don't blame my mother or my upbringing at all but it does bring me to a great time of reflection for my own life! It's so amazing how that cycle of eating although not fully present in my life... still hampers my thinking. My mentality has been shaped by those actions and even today I've found myself having to really search deep and figure out how to crucify that old way of thinking, which developed a desire for harmful activity that lead to support my being overweight!

Today's message is simple! So many times we look at the outcome and think that we can simply change the outcome and things will be ok. However, I regret to inform you that the reality of our lives and the situations that we find ourselves in are the direct results of our thinking! Like me, there is no way I can conquer this battle if I don't develop new ways of thinking. I will find myself in this place 7 times worse then before.

The course of your life begins with the way you think...developed through a mere thought! The cycle is perceive, receive, and conceive. It's a simple equation: once you understand it, you take hold of it, and you birth it! I don't care what it is..! For me, it's weight; for others, it may be self-esteem; for someone else, it may be a relationship that you're holding on to because you've never believed that you deserve and actually can do better.

So, let me tell you my path and you're welcome to walk along. Everyday, I'm committing personal time to look in the mirror and declare my future. I'm conquering old ways of thinking with new and positive concepts that will birth the ultimate change that I've desired for so long! I'm surrounding myself with positive people that can push and support me because their lives are direct results of their intention to change and be better! So, when you ask me "What's to come". I don't really know but I can assure you "It's Betta Than What's Been"....

No comments:

Post a Comment